Friday, July 15, 2011

France and Italy

WOW is all I can say after one of the greatest trips I have ever been on in my entire life. As I said before, my aunt and uncle (Tiff & Jase) moved to France a year ago and I have wanted to visit them ever since. A trip to France? Of course! Who wouldn't want to go to France and Italy to see the ever famous historic sights so many people love? At first, this amazing once in a lifetime trip seemed too good to be true, and I got my hopes up for nothing. Our wonderful neighbors told us this summer they were taking a trip to Europe in June. My mom got this wild hair and decided to ask them if I could fly out with them, meet my aunt somewhere, and then go our separate ways. They agreed, and I was going to help them with their kids on the plane. Everything would turn out, and they would get some help with their kids out of it. Then my mom told me the bad news the next day. The flight was full, so the trip wasn't going to happen. After that I was a little disappointed but it was fine because I knew the whole thing seemed too good to be true. After that my mom spent what seemed like hours with my aunt on the phone trying to work the whole thing out. I am so grateful to my aunt because when she found out the trip wasn't going to happen, she MADE sure it happened. She found tickets and talked with my mom about all the different ways to get me there. I could fly into Paris and take the train to Nice, or I could take a taxi by myself after flying into Paris to another airport and fly to Nice, etc. Although, my dad didn't want me being anywhere in France by myself (after seeing the movie Taken), so taking the train and taxi options were out. Eventually we settled it, and my aunt was to meet me in Paris when I arrived. I still cannot believe it actually worked out as smoothly as it did. The only thing that did not work out was sitting by my neighbors on the plane. I still feel bad I couldn't help them with their kids, but I couldn't really do anything about it. Anyways, right when I arrived in Paris my aunt picked me up and we immediately went power-sightseeing in 3 hours. First we saw this really cool cathedral that I can't remember the name of. I will have to ask my aunt again. I also had my very first French crepe which was absolutely amazing! It was so huge and it had bananas and nutella-yum! After that we saw the Arc de Triomphe. It was so cool. I still cannot believe the insane roundabout around the whole thing. French driving is crasy. Next was the Eiffel Tower. It is so amazing how you see these things in movies and they are just so incredibly famous it's hard to fathom you are actually seeing it in that moment. I don't know, I can't really explain it. Anyways, it was so huge but also very beautiful. I wish my aunt and I could have gone up but we didn't have very much time. After that we went to Notre Dame. This one we got to go inside which was awesome because I have never been inside an ancient/famous cathedral before. I even got to light a candle! Then we walked around the city so I could see what it was like. So that was it. We had seen Paris is just three hours. We took about 5 or 6 subways and walked so fast the entire time! The reason we had to see it all so fast was due to the fact we had to catch our next flight to Nice. We made it back safely and I was so exhausted when we arrived at their house. Here are some pictures of that crazy experience!



























Their house was so cute, and the weather was absolutely perfect. I think it only rained twice the whole time I was there! Their pool was also really nice. I wish we had one in my backyard, and I will definately miss swimming whenever I want. Here are some pictures of their pool and the view from the balcony in the room I stayed in.





One thing I also loved about France-the markets! The markets were so great. I love the different variety of things you can find there and how they will almost always be different every time you go! Tiff and I went to many markets and I bought a ton of dresses. I think I got about 6 or 7. France has great styles and fashion sense. Here's a little bit of what they looked like.





The biggest market my aunt took me to was in San Remo, Italy. It really was huge. They even had an inside market with all kinds of food and fresh produce. I bought most of the things I got at that market and I could have spent way more than I did. It was a really fun day. Tiff's friend Ann came with us and we went to the market, had lunch, and then Italian glace.














Okay so I am getting ahead of myself. I can't forget Antibes, Cannes, and Fragonard (the really cool perfume factory that makes perfume for the whole country). Tiff and I went on this amazing hiking trail on the French Riviera and there was a 180 degree view of the Mediterranean Sea! It was so beautiful I just can't explain it. Then on the way back we collected sea glass on the beach and looked at the jellyfish in the rocks. After that Tiff took me to see the famous Hotel Du Cap!









That Sunday we went to Cannes to see the city and ride the petite train. We got to pose on the red carpet where they have the Cannes Film Festival. The beach was gorgeous and the train took us up to this part of the city where you could see everything! It was so beautiful. Unfortunately my camera died so I had to use Tiff's. I still need to get all the pictures she took! Here are some of the pictures I got before it died.







Fragonard was so interesting! We took a tour through the factory and it was so cool to see how they make the perfume there. I bought some that smells sooo good! They also make these little soap eggs there that are so cute. I learned a lot and it was fun to see how they make perfume.






Next was the trip to Saint Tropez. Tiff and Jase's friends, Dave and Mimi, invited us to spend the day at the beach and at the yacht they rented for their vacation. The beach was so much fun and beautiful. I also enjoyed seeing their yacht which was SO nice! They had a whole crew-the captain, an assistant to the captain, and a cook. We ate lunch with them and visited. It was a fun day.













The Eiffel Tower was probably my favorite part about France and then the Leaning Tower of Pisa was definately my favorite part of Italy. We got up really early on a Saturday morning and drove to Pisa. Then we spent about four hours there and drove another four hours back. It was totally worth it though! The Leaning Tower, Duomo, and Dome were so awesome. We took a bunch of pictures, ate lunch, and then Tiff and I climbed to the top of the Leaning Tower! It was so cool. It was another one of those moments where I was thinking to myself, "this is so surreal I can't believe I am actually here!" Tiff also blogged about this day on her blog, so to see and read more, go to La Famille de Pierce.
















The very next day, we drove to Eze and Monaco. Eze was this cute little city on a hill in France that had these cool ruins on top. It also had these cool gardens on top and there was such a spectacular view. It was interesting to see the old city and what it used to look like back then.
















Monaco was so much fun. We got to see where the Prince and Princess of Monaco live, in their palace, and an amazing view of the whole mile long city! I also had the chance to see the famous Monte Carlo and the Hotel de Paris right next to it! It was really cool because all these famous places have been in movies and its so crazy!

















This picture made me laugh so hard. We stopped in a little park to eat dinner and there were these two naked statues. Jocelyn decided to keep them covered...



I had told my aunt that I really wanted to try escargot so on one of the last days I was there we went to the store and bought some! I had 5 of them and they weren't too bad.










This trip was so much fun I just can't explain it. I loved it because I had the opportunity to get to know my aunt and her family better. My aunt and uncle were so gracious and I want to thank them for being so kind and letting me stay with them for 24 days! I want to thank my mom and dad too for giving me this opportunity and paying for most of it. It was so much fun and I am so grateful.

1 comment:

  1. We are so glad you were able to come, Josie. We had so much fun with you. I hope you can come back someday!! Then maybe we can actually spend more than just a few minutes in Paris. Love you!!
    Tiff

    ReplyDelete